17 Artists to Watch
The Contemporary Dayton is proud to present it’s first online exhibition featuring the 2018-19 Emerging Artist Fellows. The exhibition is curated by Eva Buttacavoli, The Contemporary Dayton’s Executive Director, and will be available to view through December 31, 2018.
In addition, the exhibition will serve concurrently as The Contemporary Dayton’s first online sales gallery. Selected works are also available for purchase by following the links.
The goals of The Contemporary Dayton’s Emerging Artist Fellowship program are to help artists create a great portfolio to better attain exhibition, grant, residency and sales opportunities – and to help The Contemporary Dayton build a network of opportunities to take area artists to the next stage in their art career.
The online show and sales site is the culmination of a 9-month professional development training of 20 Dayton-based artists and 8 Dayton-area arts professionals. Fellows participated in workshops including; Crafting Artists Statements & Biographies, Best Practices in Photographing Art, and How to Submit Work Over the Web; received professional photography and critiques of current bodies of work; and feedback and editing of their final bios, statements and images.
The Contemporary Dayton’s Artist Fellowship was made possible from a grant from the Ohio Arts Council designed to grow ArtSource, The Contemporary Dayton’s art sales arm which connects businesses and healthcare organizations to local art.
2018 ArtSource Fellows:
- Michele Bondurant
- Matthew Burgy
- Dan Cleary
- Rachel Dominguez-Brenner
- Shawna Hatton
- Laura Howells
- Mikee Huber
- Cydnie King
- Maureen O’Keefe
- Kate Huser Santucci
- Ashley Simons
- Peggy Steinberg
- Tina Louise Stewart
- Jamie Strack
- Winfred Taylor
- Terry Welker
- Mary Beth Whitley
ArtSource Fellows professional partners:
- Tess Cortés, former university museum coordinator and multidisciplinary artist whose work has been exhibited and screened nationally and internationally
- Ken Emerick, Individual Artist and Percent for Art Director, Ohio Arts Council
- Esther Hall, former director for the Ohio Art League independent fashion designer/fiber artist, and lecturer for VSA Ohio, a state organization on arts and disability
- Jean Koeller, regional artist who exhibits her work regionally and nationally
- David Leach, Professor Emeritus at Wright State University, where he taught printmaking, drawing, and color theory
- Jeremy Long, Associate Professor of painting and drawing at Wright State University
- Dr. Jerry Smith, Chief Curator, Dayton Art Institute
- John Sousa, artist and artwork photographer with over 38 years of photography experience
- Sean Wilkinson, Associate Professor of photography, University of Dayton
Since 1991, The Contemporary Dayton has helped sustain the Dayton region’s arts community by providing artists a place to show, market, and sell their work. The Annual Open Members’ Show and ArtSource are just two of the ways in which The Contemporary Dayton celebrates and supports both art and artists in our community.
Presenting Sponsor: The Contemporary Dayton Fellowship for Emerging Artists Fund
Kathy & John Emery
Dianne & Brad Judge
Mary Baker Koch
Laurie & David Leach
Amy & Ron Rollins
Karen & Rudy Vingris